The present area on which the resort of Jesolo is located was already inhabited in Roman times. It was part of the territory of Altino and its early name, Equilio was unequivocally linked to the breeding of horses that were widespread in the area during this era. This little village grew in importance during the Barbaric Invasions, when in 667 the Longobard King Grimoldo ordered the destruction of Oderzo and its inhabitants found refuge in Equilio. As a result of this presence the village changed name several times until it became the bishopric of Jesolo. The spread of malaria began the decline of Jesolo and, in the early 9th century, the Franks sacked the village, which was no longer protected by the Lagoon that was previously underground. The situation worsened over the years, until in 1466, Paul II annulled the diocese of Jesolo and combined it with the Patriarchate of Venice. From that moment on Jesolo’s history was linked to the exploits of Venice, especially in terms of the creation of new banks and canals.