The area where the city of Jesolo stands today was already inhabited in Roman times. Dependent on the territory of Altino, the first name was Equilio, unequivocally linked to the breeding of horses that were widespread in the area at the time. The importance of this small village increased during the barbarian invasions, when in 667 King Longomabrdo Grimoldo ordered the destruction of Oderzo and its inhabitants found refuge in Equilio. Thanks to this presence, the village changed its name several times to the present Jesolo and became an Episcopal seat. The spread of malaria started Jesolo’s decline and, in the early 9th century, the Franks were able to sack the village, which was no longer protected by the previously silted-up lagoon. The situation deteriorated over the years until, in 1466, Paul II abrogated the diocese of Jesolo, uniting it to the Patriarchate of Venice. The history of Jesolo, from that moment on, was linked to the initiatives of Venice, especially for the construction of embankments and new canals.